On Saturday February 1st Mr. Carroll and Mr. Portuese, hosted a combined Middle School and High School trip to the preserve in Oakdale.

This 3,500 acres slice of paradise was once the grounds of the exclusive “South Side Sportsman’s Club, created in 1866. The club was founded when a group of hunting and fishing enthusiast purchased Snedicor’s Inn, a tavern and stagecoach stop for wealthy travelers en route to Montauk. The tavern became their clubhouse and as time marched on they built upon the structure to create the main house, boasting 100 members. Our students experienced a piece of unspoiled land that hasn’t changed since the island was formed. Access to this preserve is only permitted by permit. Students toured the trout hatchery then took a vigorous hike along the river, identifying animal tracks and catching sight of wintering birds including the great blue heron. Participants then had the opportunity to eat lunch in the main dining room, like the club members did over 100 years ago.

Photo Gallery